They are usually called Transition Centers or Halfway houses. In these centers, they help these prisoners with skills so that when they come into the society again, they will not have to go back in because they can’t get a job or do not know what to do. Once again, Jesus came for the poor. He said we never visited those in prison. The power of God is seen most when we go.
Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father, inherit the Kingdom prepared for you from the creation of the world… I was in prison, and you visited me.
Practical Ways To Help The Prison or Transition Center
- Many transition centers do not have church services. Offer to have a Sunday evening one. This gives you access to many prisoners who are not allowed outside.
- If you can teach instruments, use it as an opportunity to teach them and mentor them.
- Give invitation cards to the main service every time you go. They will call you when they get out.
- When they get out, they will come to your church. You are the one they know who loved them in prison.
- Ask them unashamedly to call you when they get out and you will pick them up for church.
- Offer to work on resumes and mentor those about to be released and befriend them.
- Know their names personally and mention it every time.