Waiting on God is a very important thing for any pastor. God is the one who called you and not people. You should spend more time with God than you spend with people. Plan a retreat every month. These verses showed how Jesus used to retreat
- All night
- 40 days and 40 nights
- Early morning
- Till evening
God will speak to you during these times on what He’s doing in your church so you replicate it on the earth. It’s important you hear from God in these times. One instruction from God can quadruple your growth. I think of all the points in this book, this has got to be the most important point. I wrote this book on a personal retreat.
One day soon afterward Jesus went up on a mountain to pray, and he prayed to God all night.
For forty days and forty nights he fasted and became very hungry.
And in the morning, rising up a great while before day, he went out, and departed into a solitary place, and there prayed.
After saying these things, Jesus crossed the Kidron Valley with his disciples and entered a grove of olive trees. Judas, the betrayer, knew this place, because Jesus had often gone there with his disciples.
After He had sent the crowds away, He went up on the mountain by Himself to pray; and when it was evening, He was there alone.
Practical Ways Of Investing In Solitude
- Pick 3-6 days of non-interruption.
- Take time off work if you have to and make sure it’s approved
- Book an Airbnb or hotel. I like Airbnb because it is not expensive.
- Choose a place quite far from home but in your city
- Pick as many books as you can pick with you
- Take any sermons you plan to listen to
- Go with a notebook and a pen and your tablet also to be ready to write what God tells you.
- Leave your phone at home
- Don’t ask for internet connection when you go
- Go with only water and some juice. That’s all what you are eating whiles there
- Be in the spirit throughout the period reading the books and listening to the sermons.
- God will speak to you