The American culture usually makes it difficult to visit someone as a shepherd. It’s a pastor’s duty to visit the sheep. When they do not know you that well, you be the one to invite the person out for coffee. It’s less than $5 and you can get to know the person more.
Remember it’s a type of visit so follow the 3 steps i.e.
- talk about social things,
- share the word and
- pray powerfully for the person.
If someone won’t invite you to their house, invite them to yours or invite them to a common place. Usually people don’t say no to that especially if you add, coffee is on me. I have learned to be the first one to invite especially if they are second time guests or they mentioned they were unchurched.
Practical Ways of Practicing Invitation For Coffee
- Learn to say hello to first and second time guests after church
- Have 2 slots every week in your schedule where you invite people out for food
- Keep some money, about $20, every week for coffee with others
- Train your leaders to invite out also or invite to their homes
- Remember to pay for the person you invited